Tokyo Tower in Tokyo
Tokyo Tower In The Shiba Park, Minato, Tokyo
Tokyo Tower In The Shiba Park, Minato, Tokyo
Floor Map of Tokyo Tower
View of Tokyo Tower
Tokyo Tower View From Roppongi Hills Mori Tower
Tokyo Tower View From Roppongi Hills
Tokyo Tower Street View
Facts & Figures
Tokyo Tower is a major tourist attraction and the symbol of Tokyo. The height of this communications tower is 333 meters. It is the world’s tallest, self-supported steel tower.
Explore Ryokans in Tokyo
Ryokans are the perfect way to discover old Japanese culture and traditions. Since the tower was open for the public approx. 180 million people have visited this place. Its design is based on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, but the Tokyo Tower is 13m taller. Every 5 years the tower gets fresh paint. 28.000 litres are used in this one year process. The total weight of the tower is 4000 tons. Tokyo Tower includes two observatories at 150 meters and 249.6 meters. My tip: The view after sunset over the city is just breathtakingly beautiful. A museum, restaurants and shops can be found in the four story building at the base of the tower.
- Main Deck (Main Observatory) - 150m above ground
- Opening Hours - 9:00 am to 11:00 pm (last admission 10:30 pm) – whole year
- Admission Fee - Adult: 900yen, High School Student: 500yen, Children: 400yen
- Top Deck (Special Observatory) - 250m above ground
- Opening Hours - 9:00 am to 11:00 pm – (last tour 10:15 pm) – whole year
- Admission Fee - Adult: 600yen, High School Student: 400yen, Children: 350yen
- Combi Ticket - Top Deck + Main Deck
- Admission Fee - Adult: 2800yen, High School Student: 2600yen, Children: 1800yen
- One Piece Tower - Theme park
- Opening Hours - 10:00 am to 10:00 pm – whole year
- Admission Fee - Adult: 3200yen
My tips for local activities
How about exploring the fascinating city Tokyo with a local guide. Check out this page for more details about this tour.
The Tokyo Tower was built in 1958. It all started with a request of the Japan Broadcasting Corporation called NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai) in 1953. The broadcaster needed a larger tower to serve the city Tokyo with their signal for TV, radio and traffic info. The government agreed to the project and at same time made the decision to built a real landmark and new symbol for the capital and the countries economic growth after the war. Japanese architect Tachu Naito (1886 - 1970) created the design of the tower. In 1989 the illumination of the tower was completely re-designed and the result is to this day impressive and was well received by the people. In 2012 an even taller broadcasting tower, the Tokyo Skytree (634m) was opened for the public.
The Tokyo Tower is located within Minato-ku (ward) in Tokyo.
Address: 4-2-8 Shiba-koen, Minato, Tokyo 105-0011
How to get to Tokyo Tower?
- Akabanebashi Subway Station is served by Oedo Line
- 5min from Akabanebashi Subway Station (Exit 2) to Tokyo Tower
- Kamiyacho Subway Station is served by Hibiya Line
- 7min from Kamiyacho Subway Station (Exit 1) to Tokyo Tower
- Onarimon Subway Station is served by Mita Line
- 6min from Onarimon Subway Station (Exit No. A1) to Tokyo Tower
- Daimon Subway Station is served by Asakusa Line
- 10min from Daimon Subway Station (Exit A6) to Tokyo Tower
- Hamamatsucho Station is served by JR Yamanote and JR Keihin-Tohoku Line
- 15min from Hamamatsucho Station (North Exit) to Tokyo Tower
Sightseeing spots in and around Tokyo Tower
FootTown - It is a four-story building at the Tokyo Tower base. The main attractions are the Aquarium Gallery, a wax museum, restaurants and a souvenir shop.
Tokyo Tower Aquarium - On display are 900 varieties of fish from all over the world and the total amount is adding up to 50000.
Main Deck (Main Observatory) - Enjoy the view from 150m above the ground. You will find there a small cafe, Club 333 and a glass floor with an amazing thrilling view down to the base. The main deck can be accessed via elevator or if you are fit enough via a 600-step stairway.
One Piece Tower - It is a theme park based on the famous manga and anime.
Shiba Park - Tokyo Tower and Zojo-ji Temple are located within the park. It is the oldest public park in Japan. You will find their a number of beautiful lawns. It is the perfect spot for a break during your sightseeing tour.
Festival & Events (dates can change without notice)
Christmas Illumination (Dec)
Plan a romantic trip on Christmas Eve to the tower and enjoy the illumination.
New Year's Eve (31st)
At midnight the number of the new year is displayed.
Day trips from Tokyo
My 100 Best Moments in Japan
I am visiting Japan nearly every year since 2004. This is my collection of the 100 best moments in my favourite country. Enjoy the pictures and I hope you will start your own journey soon.