Akashi Kaikyo Bridge (Kobe)
Akashi Kaikyo Bridge In Kobe
Akashi Kaikyo Bridge View From Train
Facts & Figures
The Akashi Kaikyo Bridge, also called the Pearl Bridge, is with a total length of 3911 m the longest suspension bridge in the world (length of the central span is 1991 m). It connects the city Kobe with Iwaya on the Awaji Island and the bridge is crossing on its way the Akashi Strait.
Explore Ryokans in Kobe
Ryokans are the perfect way to discover old Japanese culture and traditions. The strait is one of the busiest sea lanes with more than thousand sips per day. The Akashi Kaikyo Bridge is part of 3 expressways which connects the main island Honshu with Shikoku. On average 23,000 cars crossing the bridge per day.
- Bridge Exhibition Center:
- Opening Hours - 9:30 am to 5:00 pm - closed on Mondays
- Admission Fee - Adults: 200 yen
- Maiko Marine Promenade:
- Opening Hours - 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (summer hoildays + Golden Week till 7:00 pm)
- Admission Fee - Adults: 240 yen
- "Bridge World" - climb to the top of the bridge:
- Start - 9:30 am app. 2,5 hrs (Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun and national holiday)
- Start - 1:30 pm app. 2,5 hrs (Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun and national holiday)
- Admission Fee - Adults: 3000 yen, advanced reservations necessary
In 1955 during a heavy storm two ferries collided on the way to Iwaya and 168 people got killed. This was the starting point of discussions to build a bridge over the Akashi Strait. The construction of the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge started in 1988 and it took 10 years to finsih this engineering masterpiece.
The Akashi Kaikyo Bridge is connecting Kobe in the Hyōgo Prefecture with Iwaya on the Awaji Island.
How to get to Akashi Kaikyo Bridge?
- 25min from Kobe Sannomiya Station to Maiko Station by JR Sanyo Line
Bridge Exhibition Center - detailed information about the construction process is available there
Maiko Marine Promenade - 317 m path under the bridge (47 m above the ocean), enjoy the great view
Bridge World - a guided tour to climb the top of the bridge
Festival & Events (dates can change without notice)
Illuminating of the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge
Enjoy this colorful spectacle from dusk till midnight. The illumination patterns are changing during the season.