Shirakami Sanchi UNESCO World Heritage Site
Facts & Figures
Shirakami-Sanchi describes an mountainous area covered with virgin forest, mainly Siebold's beech trees, cut through with deep gorges by its countless rivers in the northern part of Honshu. 169,7 square kilometer out of the total 1300 square kilometer are protected as an UNESCO World Heritage Site. The wildlife of Shirakami-Sanchi is also really impressive with more than 500 species of plants and 87 species of birds like black woodpecker and golden eagle. Watch out for the Japanese serow and black bear. Since 2004 I travel nearly every year to Japan. The rail pass made my life easier to discover all those amazing places in my favourite country. It is important to know that you need a special permission by the Aomori office of the Tohoku Regional Forest Office to enter the most protected parts. Apply for it in advance by mail.
- Shirakami Sanchi Visitor Center:
- Opening Hours - 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (July to October)
- Opening Hours - 9:00 am to 6:30 pm (rest of the year)
- Closed - 2nd Mondays (from Apr. to Dec.), every Monday and Thursday (from Jan. to Mar.), 22nd of December till 3rd of January
- Admission Fee - free
Shirakami Sanchi is located in the northwestern part of the main island Honshu along the border of the Aomori and Akita Prefecture.
How to get to Shirakami Sanchi?
- 90min from Hirosaki Station to Anmon Falls by Konan Bus or
- 160min from Akita Station to Shirakamidaketozanguchi Sta. by JR Gono Line or
- 120min from Aomori Airport to Shirakami-Sanchi Visitor Center via Hirosaki by bus
Anmon no taki (Shadow Gate Falls) - enjoy the great hiking trail leading up to 3 beautiful waterfalls (height: 26m, 37m and 42m) called Anmon no taki
Mount Shirakami - the 1232m high mountain offers amazing views and shelter facilities are available at the summit
Nihon Canyon - a beautiful place and worth a visit
Aoike - small lake famous for its blue color
Tanashiro Swamp - fascinating sight and a great place for hiking lovers
more places - Mase Valley, Dairakyo Gorge, Mt. Futatsumori, Mt. Komagatake, Juniko Lakes (group of 33 lakes and marshes) etc...
Festival & Events (dates can change without notice)
Yukyu-no-Mori Shirakami Festival
The annual concert/festival is held in the town called Hachimori (Yamamoto District) at the foot of the Shirakami-Sanchi.